TALK – SPEAK – TELL – SAY
• Tell => apare si persoana careia i se spune
She can tell you (Sue) all about that.
• Exceptii (in expresii):
To tell the truth
To tell the time
To tell the difference
• Tell => instruire sau informare
Tell her a joke! (instruire)
I told him to learn the poem by heart. (instruire)
I’m going to tell Mary all about the secret meeting. (informare)
Grandma always tells me stories when I go to bed. (informare)
• Say = > nu apare persoana careia i se spune sau, daca apare, folosim “to”
He said “good night” to his children (Dorian).
• Say => citate
“I have visited a lot of places so far.”, she said.
Talk = speak (90%)
• Speak => mai formal
Mrs. Smith is going to speak to her students about the use of computers in medicine.
My friend is going to talk to me about this.
• Speak => limbi vorbite
Jennifer can speak two foreign languages.
Can you speak English?
Incearca si tu:
1. I couldn’t talk / tell to him about the book.
2. “My boyfriend gave me this bunch of flowers”, said / spoke Jenny.
3. Do you think she’s telling / speaking the truth?
4. I’d like to speak / say to you about a life experience that I had.
5. Can your cousin talk / speak Chinese?
6. I was so frightened that I could barely speak / say.
7. His friend told / said ten jokes to the girls.